Tuesday, March 3, 2009

napropos

I've been thinking about bringing one of the bean bag chairs I made a few weeks ago into work with me. After lunch I often get really sleepy. I believe a 20-minute nap would do a lot to restore my usual vigor and vim. But I'm not sure how to appropriately integrate a daily siesta into the existing work culture.

Right now, I do the sneak approach. When I feel really zoned out, I put my elbows up on my desk and rest my forehead in my hands. I stay like that for a few minutes thinking, maybe I'll someone catch some ZZZs in this incredibly not comfortable position, and other people walking by my office will believe I'm just thinking hard or have a headache.

But I wonder if a more blatant approach wouldn't be better. Get out the bean bag chair and a soft lap blanket. Set it up in the middle of my office. Turn off the lights and shut the blinds. Maybe play Enya softly. And then set one of those silver bell-and-hammer alarm clocks to go off 20 minutes later.

Oooh - I could even bring in fuzzy slippers!

5 comments:

Janssen said...

Reminds me of the good old days of napping on the beanbags in the Honors library at BYU. I especially liked putting my coat over me AND the vent, so that the hot air was practically suffocating me. Glorious.

Dawn said...

Maybe you'll need to work on the "work culture" a bit before you try this! LOL!

Megan said...

We have a lunch room in the basement of my office that has a couple of couches. People regularly take lunch time naps on them. I have not been able to bring myself to that yet. Maybe the fuzzy slippers would help.

Jared and Delia said...

Do it! Be bold!

Elizabeth Downie said...

I totally hear you! We're always joking about needing a nap room after work. When are we going to start having "siesta" time in the states? It is much needed around 1:00.