Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Last week, we met my parents at Brevort Lake in the UP (upper peninsula of michigan, for those non midwesterners out there) for a few days of camping.


On the drive up, Abe & I saw numerous roadside ads for the "Mystery Spot." We ended up driving right by it, so we decided to see what it was all about.

The plaque at the "Mystery Spot" just said this: "In the early 1950s three surveyors stumbled across an area of land where they surveying equipment didn't seem to work properly. As they continued their research of this land, they noticed a constant feeling of being light headed. Later, realizing that their queasiness and problems with surveying equipment only occurred in an area about 300 feet in diameter they felt they had discovered a 'Mystery Spot'."

For only $7 we could have gone on the guided tour to the spot. We declined.



Abe, Mom, and Dad on the boat out to Mackinac Island.



While biking around Mackinac Island (no cars allowed), my shoelace got caught in the chain of our tandem bicycle. It's a lot harder to stop for emergencies when 2 people are driving.



Lake Michigan beaches are gorgeous! The lake temperature was a bit too - refreshing - for my taste, but still fun.


We rented a boat to go fishing on Brevort Lake. The worms we used measured longer than our biggest catch.



Yum. Smoked fish jerky fudge.

6 comments:

Janssen said...

I can't believe you didn't buy me some smoked fish jerky fudge. You should have known I would have loved it with all my heart. Oh well.

Jen said...

It looks like such a fun weekend. There are definitely lots of things I miss about the midwest, and the UP is one of them. Mackinac island is another, one of my goals in life is to stay at the grand hotel.

Sarah said...

Looks like a fun weekend. I think you may regret missing the tour of the Mystery Spot.

Wes said...

Yeah! Bob and Rita Olsen!

Dave said...

I love how good you two are at documenting fun moments with the camera.

I can't tell you how many times I've gotten my shoelace caught in the chain of tandem bicycle but didn't take a picture. In fact, I can't tell you how many times because I've never remembered to take a picture.

Brad, Brittany and Amelia said...

Isn't that the island where "Somewhere in Time" was filmed? It's beautiful!!!