Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Oooh! Oooh! A List!

As a follow up to my lament on women in film, here is a list of movies that - as a moderate feminist - I can comfortably watch. Two notes of explanation. First, I made up the term "moderate feminist". Feminism is a clumsy term we use for basically anything having to do with women. The weak version is fluffy puffy let's feel good about women without it actually meaning anything. The strong version touts women as absolutely the same as men excepting anatomy, while saying under the breath that we all know women are actually far superior to men in every way.

As a moderate feminist, I believe that women are absolutely equal to men, but men and women hold different roles and responsibilities. The ultimate potential for both man and woman is as a perfect compliment to the other.

Perhaps moderate is a misnomer. My view may be seen as quite radical by some. Maybe it is not a half-way between on the scale I set out, but rather a third point all together...

Regardless, I don't have a better name right now.

The second point of explanation. Because of my definition of moderate feminist, you will notice that some of these films portray woman as wife and mother. Some of the these films portray woman as independent and successful. And some of these films portray women as wife, mother, independent, and successful. I am satisfied with all three.

Movies for the Moderate Feminist


Amazon Queen
A Man for All Seaons
Anne of Green Gables
Contact
Cranford
Driving Miss Daisy
Fiddler on the Roof
Howl's Moving Castle
Incredibles
It's a Wonderful Life
Little Women
Million Dollar Baby
Mona Lisa Smile
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Much Ado About Nothing
October Sky
Pride and Prejudice (1995 version)
Sense and Sensibility (1995)
Thin Man series
To Kill a Mockingbird
Waking Ned Divine
Whale Rider

What movies would you add?

2 comments:

Dave said...

I would add:
The Incredibles
Not One Less
The Road Home
Cold Comfort Farm

May I also suggest "Realist Feminist" as a possible title? I think it suggests that you don't ignore either the evidence of biological, genetic and neurological difference between males and females (as the "strong feminist" might) or the clear and disturbing examples of repression of women in the world (as the "soft feminist" might).

The Realist Feminist realizes that all people are of equal worth even if there are differences among them but also realizes that some of those differences are relatively consistent across genders.

Chelsea said...

I think you definately need to add Jane Eyre to the list. I really enjoyed the recent A&E version.