Monday, August 25, 2008

Anyone need some lemongrass?

We had some shrimp in our freezer that needed to be used, so I looked for a new and interesting shrimp recipe online. I found this recipe for Vietnamese Shrimp and Pork Crepes from Epicurious. After all, with this dish I could use up my old shrimp while only having to purchase a few other ingredients, such as coconut milk, mint, lemongrass, pork, fish sauce, Asian rice flour, and mungbean sprouts. Easy!

So it took 2 hours, 3 mixing bowls, 1 cutting board with a very good knife, a blender, 2 frying pans, and a wok, but on Friday night we enjoyed our first ever taste of Vietnamese cuisine. Or at least, an approximation of Vietnamese. It was quite delicious, actually. I would recommend making this recipe if you want a real food experience. It is not for the faint of heart. I don't think anything featuring fish sauce can be.


Getting ready to put together my crepe. Properly hydrating is very important. 75% of injuries from crepes are caused by inadequate hydration.


With my water levels balanced, I commense crepe making. The first step is to tear off a large piece of lettuce.


Next, carefully place the crepe on the torn lettuce leaf.


Sprinkle some fresh mint onto the crepe. Basil and cilantro can also be used. But don't forgo the mint - I think it is essential to the taste. (Although we didn't use basil or cilantro, so how would I know. But the mint really tasted good. And you can use the leftover mint leaves in lemonade. Looks classy and tastes yummy.)


Wrap the lettuce leaf around everything.


Dip in fish and lime sauce (so good! I promise!) and consume before the lettuce wrap completely falls apart.

By the way. Lemongrass comes in packages of, like, 50 stalks, and I only needed one. So if anyone is in the market...

4 comments:

Jen said...

Brave you are. I think I'll jump right to the part where you put mint leaves in the lemonade. At some point in the near future I do plan to use your dumpling recipe, it looks delicious.

Rita said...

I think we have an identical picture taken 13 years ago when you dove into your first Korean lettuce wrap.

Sarah said...

I want to believe that it was so good, but fish sauce?

Abe said...

I love that last picture. It's got lots of personality.