Monday, December 7, 2009

don't knock it till you've watched it

A few weekends ago I almost witnessed a nervous breakdown when Abe & I were in Marshall's. The delightful strains of radio holiday music were just too much for my husband. It probably didn't help that I was shopping for a bra.

The Christmas music selection on the radio does somewhat sicken me. However, I have found new appreciation for many of the worst tunes since watching their music videos.

For example, I never knew what a jewel the music video for "Wonderful Christmastime" by Paul McCartney was.

Please, enjoy. Also note: 1) the choir of children singing their song (1:14) is frightening in the extreme, 2) the glowing orbs (1:27) are surely channeling the Logan's Run renewal chamber, 3) 3:03 - I'm sorry...what just happened, exactly?

9 comments:

AdamAndMelaine said...

Wow.

Weezie said...

I have never used LSD, but I imagine if I did and then made a Christmas music video that's exactly how it would turn out. I think you should make this a regular feature--Behind the Christmas Music.

Margaret said...

Dave and I watched this together, and I ended up wondering whether the extreme trippiness ever seemed "normal". Was this standard Christmas-music-video fare for its time, or were its contemporaries similarly agog by the crazy star constellations?

Elizabeth Downie said...

That video is INSANE!!! The orbs! The kids! lol. I'm glad you shared it. Hilarious.

Also, I'm glad you included that you were bra shopping. lol

Dawn said...

Weird. and I lived through those times!

Erin Gong said...

Judging by the close similarity to Logan's Run (and other era-video - Star Trek episodes to name just one) I don't think this style is an aberration of its time.

The Wizard said...

Yes, I can see Logan's Run in it although possible more like "Zardoz" (starring a young Sean Connery altho I doubt he would admit it).

Maren Hansen said...

If you've ever seen the Yellow Submarine (or anything else the Beatles did), you will know that this is tame for them. Of course, the choir kids wearing shades were pretty freaky...

Gutsy Ginnip said...

wow, i had no idea there was a video for this song. seems fitting for the time it was made though, no?