Monday, June 17, 2013

I am an Evaluator-Mother

This morning I read a blog post by Shannon Hale (author of Goose Girl, Austenland, Princess Academy, to name a few), where she describes how being a writer and a mother works for her.

As I was reading it, I thought, This totally describes my feelings as an evaluator-mother. I should write my own blog post about my thoughts on the subject. And when I was done reading it I thought, Never mind. Sentiments completely captured, and by someone who is a professional writer.

So, if you want to know what life feels like for me as an evaluator-mother, read Shannon Hale's post here: http://oinks.squeetus.com/2013/06/writing-and-mother-how-i-sort-of-do-both.html.

Points that particularly resonated with me:
- Maintaining balance means saying no to a lot. And sometimes this means excluding other opportunities and friendships to the point that you don't have to even say "no" anymore because no one is asking...
- Being an evaluator and being a mother pretty much precludes most other hobbies, social time, house maintenance, etc. Except mindlessly watching TV at the end of a long day. I can still do that.
- Sundays are crucial days of rest and rejuvenation. I would die without a Sabbath.
- Everyone has their own passions and balance that (hopefully) they can find a way to accommodate. My choices might not always end up being the right ones, but I am trying to choose what's right for me and my family.

(As a side note, listing evaluator first in evaluator-mother is no reflection of priorities. The other way around just doesn't sound right.)

No comments: