Wednesday, February 18, 2009

bean bag!

We have sort of a minimalist living room. 1 couch. 1 chair. 1 lamp. 1 end table. 1 candle. And 2 pictures on the wall. It's fine for us, but when we have people over to watch movies (via projector that is wheeled in and out of sparse room on demand), it can be uncomfortable viewing.

And then a few weeks ago I was feeling crafty. So I decided to hand craft custom bean bag chairs for lounging in the living room. I found this design online and basically followed it, but without putting the round patch. The filling was a bit difficult. The styrofoam beads in bean bag chairs are somewhat expensive. I found some large foam pieces at The Scrap Box, an awesome local store full of tons of terrific junk. I had to cut the foam into tiny pieces, which I did while watching "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" (badges! we don't need no stickin badges!).

Here's the result. Two more chairs are en route whenever I get a spare evening or two.




The blue looks more royal here than in real life. It matches the couch well.



I also installed a zipper. May be my favorite part. The foam shown here was cut into smaller pieces to decrease lumpiness and increase comfort.



Foam cutting at its finest.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Nice work. It looks comfy.

Matt said...

I think I'm going to try convincing Michelle that we should make some bean bags.

What's this projector on wheels you mention?

Rita said...

And a zipper to boot?! Wow!

Chelsea said...

Zippers are your solution to everything! Bean bags, childbirth...

amydear said...

Wow. You are diligent. I'm impressed with your foam cutting. Hope the bags are super-comfy now.

Anonymous said...

The collection of Spacify includes a wide range of Leather Bean Bag.