The beginning of the month marked Genghis's first birthday. It's hard to believe it's been so long. Or maybe not so hard to believe.
A few of my favorite Genghis-isms at this age.
- He purrs like a Star Wars Wookie.
- He spends 10 minutes each morning practicing saying "Uh oh!" in his crib before getting up.
- He toddles around the house, with a walk that looks like he just got off a horse.
- If we leave our bedroom door open he either (1) goes into stealth mode and in absolute silence sneaks in to get into whatever electronic or choking hazard is closest at hand or (2) makes a wild and raucous run for it, choosing speed over caution.
- He says "bath" (aah) and "hot" (aht - tahhh).
- He sits by our bookshelf, paging through "Animal Farm".
We had a party for his birthday. Mostly for us, but some of the adults came with children too.
Blowing out the candle. This "cake" is actually just leftover batter from cupcakes that I threw in a bread pan. Good for Genghis to plunge headfirst into.
The progress of eating his cake and ice cream.
Father and son.
Decorations. After the food had been eaten and the balloons pulled down or popped.
Photo wall. Loved this idea, which I got from Janssen.
Said cupcakes. They have peanut butter cups inside of them. Mmm.