Sunday, February 6, 2011

to prove that i can write a blog post without photos

I feel mounting pressure to post something insightful and thought-provoking, lest Genghis's cute photos dominate this blog too much. After all, indelible edibles is about me not him.

Inspiration is slow, however, so short of insightful and thought-provoking, here's a rambler.

1. How can I not post something about the Superbowl? Okay, there are a lot of reasons, among them that I can't remember the last time I watched a football game, or even said the word "football". But, if you're from Green Bay you either have to be a Packers' fan or feel guilty for not caring. To assuage my conscience, I'd like to share a quote from an email from my dad regarding Game Day in G.B.:

"I read in the paper yesterday that there will be a downtown party for the game today. They will close off a street and have various activities. If the Packers won they would reopen one hour after the game. If the packers lost reopening would be determined by the police. I thought that was interesting."

Turns out, Mystery Science Theater 3000 is not too far off in their portrayal of humanity's quirks.



2. Do you ever pick the wrong New Year's Resolutions? I did this year. One of my goals is to wake up between 7 and 7:15 and study scriptures, 200 times total during the year. So far, I have done it 9 times - 191 times to go. To put it another way, to date I have met my goal 24% of the time; in order to get to the magic 200, I'll have to meet my goal 58% of the time for the remainder of the year. That's a 142% increase. If my bank account could do that, I might retire at age 35.

But I'm doing really well at reading all kinds of other books at all hours of the day. I've read 9 books so far. Which books, you say? Oh, I'm so glad you asked.

Life is So Good, George Dawson
The White Tiger, Aravind Adiga
The Princess Bride, William Goldman
Super Baby Food, Ruth Yaron
Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, Judy Blume
The Candymakers, Wendy Mass
The Adoration of Jenna Fox, Mary E. Pearson
The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules our Lives, Leonard Mlodinow
Split, Avashti Swati

Unfortunately, prolific reading is not my goal, it's just a hobby.

3. I enjoy buying things that will help me organize my house, but I don't enjoy returning them. The past few weeks we have been trying to make more of our space, given the exponential influx of baby things that have taken over, not just our entire second bedroom but also the living room, dining room, bathroom and kitchen. We've made 2 trips to Ikea and 1 trip to Target, successfully spending more than we intended each time, and always having 1 or 2 things to take back.

My 2 favorite purchases have been a hanging shoe rack for the entryway closet that can also double to hold our winter hats and gloves and a rod & hook system we installed in our laundry room (basically in our kitchen) to hang all of our pots and pans. It frees up tons of cupboard space, and no one will ever be able to sneak into our house and cook for us because they'll never find the cookware so cleverly hidden.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Point proven...now can we have baby pictures again!? :) KIDDING! I'm glad you have been able to read, even if it isn't goal-oriented reading. Knowing you it will all be worked out soon and you'll meet your goals by the end of the year. And probably have a pie chart or bar graphs to prove it. Which is why we love you!

Janssen said...

I need to read something by Judy Blume since the only book I've read by her was Forever, required reading for my YA lit class.

amydear said...

You are a whiz with stats and numbers! My brain just doesn't gravitate towards those things. I am impressed baby G lets you sleep in that late.

Rita said...

That movie clip was hilarious. Ok, the next time you come to GB, we're going up nort to checkout Gleason...doncha know-a? "Packers won the Super bowl!"